Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Seven things I loved in November

Hi everyone! This is the first post of my new blog series "Seven things I loved in.." In these posts I will share seven things that I loved over the past month with you! Kind of like a monthly favourites, but it can also include things I went to or other things I loved over the past month. If I had to describe November in one sentence it would be "A month full of new inspiration" you'll soon find out why! Here are the seven things I loved in November:


Playgrounds festival

Playgrounds festival is a designer and animation festival where talented and successful designers and animators talk about their work. I went to the festival on the 4th of November and it took place in the beautiful Stadsschouwburg in Amsterdam. People who came on stage were:

2Veinte, an awesome design & motion graphic production company;
FutureDeluxe, an experimental creative studio based in London;
The animator Edwin Schaap who did animations for several movies including the Martian, Paddington, Dracula Untold and Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them(!!);
Aaron Duffy, known from the music video "The writings on the wall" from OKGO;
Marshmallow laser feast, a London based design studio (who have also worked with U2!);
Ferry Gouw, the art director of Major Lazer and Major Lazer's cartoon TV show;
Mark Ardington from Double Negative, a visual effects/computer animation company also based in London. He did the effect/computer animations for the movie Ex Machina.

These people were awesome and so talented! So if you're a designer or animator, or interested in the field, then you should definitely check them out!

Sometimes I lose a bit of motivation when I'm doing work for school, or just creative work in general. But after all these amazing inspiring talks from these great designers I felt so inspired and motivated to start designing and creating! So my advice to you is: if you ever feel uninspired or less motivated, listen to artist, designers, check out their work and let them inspire you!



Big Magic
by Elizabeth Gilbert

Talking about inspiration and being creative, I heard great things about this book, and after Playgrounds I wanted to read more about creativity so I bought this book. The book is about living a creative life beyond fear and challenges us to embrace our curiosity, tackle what we most love and face down what we most fear. I haven't finished it yet but I really love the book so far. I like her writing, and how she describes things. For example when she talked about fear: "He hasn't slept in days, he's all hopped up on Red Bull, and he's liable to shoot at his own shadow in an absurd effort to keep everyone "safe." I also loved her podcast "Magic Lessons" where she talks to people, and helps them with their creative struggles. Very inspiring!


Moon necklace

I love minimal jewellery, and I'm the kind of person who wears the same piece of jewellery for years. I saw this necklace in a market in Brick Lane when I was in London in the beginning of November, and it's from the brand Black Pearl. It was a bit pricy, but I'm glad I bought it because I've been loving and wearing it this whole month. And the quality is also very good so I will probably wear this necklace for a looong time. The shape of the moon isn't flawless, but that makes me like it even more because this makes it more unique.



White Jumper

Every year around winter time when I go shopping, I've been looking for that perfect warm white jumper and I finally found one! I'm pretty much living in this jumper now. It's this jumper from H&M and it's soooo comfy and warm and it fits very nicely.



Polaroid coasters

I bought these polaroid coasters in London in the shop Scribbler. It's a set of 4 coasters. I've been drinking lots of tea over the past month so these coasters came in handy. But I think it also looks very cute on my desk. I have now put a photo of the cover of Mumfords and Sons latest album "Wilder Mind" in it, but I want to print out more festive photos to put in it for this holiday season. This is also a great gift to give to your friend who loves to take photos! You can also put some Instagram photos in it. :)


Ring-light

I've been doing more photography work lately, so that meant that I now finally have some more money to invest in photography stuff. I wanted to buy a ring-light, and I saw this one which you put on your lens and I thought it might be very useful. This one is called Falcon Eyes Macro Ring light and it's perfect for macro photography, or portraits. It has a flash, but you can also have the light on constantly so you can also use it for filming. You can adjust the brightness, and it doesn't create much shadow since its put around your lens and not above it. It gives a very natural light, unless you're using it in a darker place. I've been using this light in some photos in my Lush TAG and some photos in this post!



Watercolour set

After Pinning lots and lots of watercolour paintings on Pinterest, I thought it was time to try painting with watercolours myself. I did a little research on what set would be great for me, and I found the 24 half pan set from van Gogh and bought it in our local painting store. I saw this tutorial about how to paint an agate slice and this was the perfect way to try out my new set! Here is the result:
I love how pigmented the colours are and I can't wait to make more watercolour paintings with this set. 

What did you love in November?

Love,
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Valerie Randomness. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig